Eskom Solar Concentration Power Plant
As part of the Eskom Renewables Capacity, it was decided to construct a pilot plant of 100 MW capacity based on the Solar Concentration principle in the Northern Cape near Upington.
VIP Consulting Engineers was appointed as geotechnical engineers to investigate and report on:
- The general geology and appropriate mechanical properties of the soil and rock horizons on site.
- Derive values of geotechnical engineering material properties and characterization thereof for foundation design (interpretive analysis) including assumptions and limitations.
- To provide foundation recommendations for the proposed Solar Plant, which include the major structures and the heliostat field, for appropriate design.
- To comment on the soil electrical & thermal resistivity.
- To comment on the excavation characteristics of the materials encountered on site.
- To comment on the potential usage of the materials encountered for use in layer works in terraces and roads.
- To comment on available/potential borrow materials/sources.
- To comment on site water management aspects particularly pertaining to shallow groundwater or seepage.
- Identify potential geotechnical risks associated with the site including precautionary measures, to mitigate these, during construction and operation.
This report was completed and handed to Eskom who will use this as base for further planning and development.